Xvid Video Codec for Mac Free Download to Play Xvid on Mac
Posted by Kaylee Wood | Last update: June 29, 2020
"Hello, i am trying to watch a video on Mac and it says that I need xvid video codec and i can't find it anywhere. i have downloaded perian and the VLC player but i don't know what to do after that. can anyone help me?"
Are you like this guy finding no results for Xvid video codec for Mac download but turning to get help from VLC media player or Perian QuickTime component? It seems that these two commonest ways are not that powerful as we expected to help play Xvid videos on Mac. So, where can you download Xvid video codec for Mac QuickTime or is there a better method besides VLC and Perian to play Xvid videos files on Mac without need of the codec Mac?
Best Free Xvid Player Mac/PC Download with Full Xvid Video Codec
No need to download Xvid video codec for Mac (OS Big Sur or earlier) or Windows, 5KPlayer with inbuilt Xvid codec and 450+ video codec can play any video movie formats include MP4, AVI, MKV, WMV, FLV, MOV, DivX, etc. in 4K HD 1080p 720p and so on smoothly.
Steps to play Xvid with 5KPlayer: 1. Free download 5KPlayer, install and launch it; 2. Drag and drop your Xvid file to it to play.
1. Wiki: What is Xvid Video Codec?
2. Top 3 Xvid Video Codec Free Download for Mac
3. How to Play Xvid Files without Downloading Xvid Video Codec Mac?
4. Further Reading: Xvid vs Divx
Wiki: What Is Xvid Video Codec?
Xvid or XviD is not a video format but a MPEG-4 video codec library following the MPEG-4 video coding standard, specifically MPEG-4 Part 2 Advanced Simple Profile (ASP). So, the file extension of Xvid video is commonly .mp4, namely, the Xvid video we see daily is MP4 video encoded with Xvid. The most shining feature of Xvid video codec is that it compresses video at ratios of 200:1 at least with good quality remained, i.e. 100GB HD uncompressed digital video will only take up 500MB when being compressed with Xvid, which is good for faster transmission when streaming and also saving storage on computer disks.
However, Xvid video codec is specifically a codec for PC and not natively supported by some Mac media players like QuickTime on Mac. That's why we need to download Xvid video codec Mac for QuickTime or get help from VLC/Perian plugin to play Xvid files on Mac smoothly.
Top 3 Xvid Video Codec Free Download for Mac
As of now, we have found a few resources for Xvid video codec download, let alone Xvid video codec free download for Mac. But, if you insist on finding one, these 3 Xvid video codec Mac download sites may satisfy you to that end.
1. https://www.xvid.com/: From the official site, Xvid is open-source that everyone can review the Xvid source codec so that there is definitely no spyware or adware. However, it seems there is no download section for Mac users though it says there are ports to Mac OS X. The download resource is also available at http://download.cnet.com/XviD-Video-Codec/3000-2140_4-10651548.html.
2. https://xvid-codec.en.softonic.com/: I havn't tested this Xvid codec for Mac yet, but according to someone's experience, it seems that this version is no longer supported by his/her Mac. Maybe you can try it by yourself to see if it is a perfect combination with your Mac to support Xvid videos playback.
3. http://www.xvidmovies.com/mac/: This Xvid video codec for Mac OS requires you to install QuickTime and the DivX codec first, and then download Xvid codec for Mac OS X or Xvid codec for Mac OS 8/9. To install the XviD delegate component on Mac OS X, put the XVIDDelegate.component file in the /Library/QuickTime folder and then reboot. If you're using Mac OS 8/9, put the XVIDDelegatePPC file in the QuickTime Extensions folder in the Macintosh System's Extension folder and then reboot.
Hope these Xvid codec Mac download sites can meet your needs. But, considering the cons of Xvid codec for Mac, for example, it may conflict with other programs on computer or occupy much space on hard drive, downloading Xvid video codec for Mac is not as ideal as we think. And the truth is that many sites for Xvid video codec free download for Mac had been shut down one after another, indicating that Xvid video codec download is no longer the best way to solve Mac QuickTime can't play Xvid videos problem. Besides, the joke is that the Xvid videos still won't play on Mac after installing Xvid codec for Mac. So, there must be a better alternative way, that is, Xvid video player for Mac - 5KPlayer ↓↓↓.
How to Play Xvid Files without Downloading Xvid Video Codec Mac?
Perian no longer offers support since 2012, so the newer Mac computer would not support the older version Perian to beef up QuickTime to play Xvid videos. And converting Xvid to other more compatible formats is feasible but it's hard to say whether there is quality loss or not. Therefore, that only leaves Mac Xvid player. VLC Mac is the best choice of course if it doesn't ask for download VLC codec pack or plugin. As a consequence, 5KPlayer at present is what we have found the best Xvid player for Mac to play Xvid videos without installing any Xvid video codec for Mac.
As a multimedia server with built-in 450+ video codec and 180+ audio codec, 5KPlayer handles any video audio file without hesitation and hiccups. Without installing any codec pack, this Xvid player Mac supports Xvid, MP4, AVI, DivX playback in 4K HD 1080p 720, and at the same time offers MKV WMV FLV Xvid video download ability.
Download/Play Xvid without Xvid Codec for Mac via 5KPlayer
Step 1. Free download Xvid players & downloader 5KPlayer, install and launch it on your Mac.
Step 2. If you have no Xvid videos, you can find one on online sites, then copy the Xvid video URL and paste it to 5KPlayer. 5KPlayer will automatically analyze the Xvid video download it for you.
Step 3. Play Xvid videos directly without installing any third-party Xvid video codec for Mac. If you just downloaded an Xvid video from Vimeo, Dailymotion, Vevo, etc via 5KPlayer, you double click the Xvid video to play. Or just drag'n drop the Xvid file on computer to play.
Step 4. Stream Xvid videos to Apple TV. 5KPlayer also acts as an DLNA server enabling you to stream videos movies from Mac/PC to TV or Android/iPhone/iPad to computer wirelessly. If you need, just feel free to use this free feature.
Further Reading: Xvid vs. DivX
Xvid and DivX are competing MPEG4 compression formats. DivX is a video codec that is created by DivX, Inc. and Xvid is also a video codec and is the main competitor of DivX. DivX is arguably more popular than Xvid, while Xvid is said to produce smaller files and offer better quality when compared to DivX.