Before we start the step-by-step guide, let’s know something about VLC media player IPTV function:
• VLC plays .m3u/.m3u8 live links directly of IPTV playlist.
• VLC plays downloaded .m3u/.m3u8 file.
• VLC also lets you download and record IPTV programs.
• Besides free IPTV streaming, VLC is also capable of live streaming HLS (http live streaming) rtp, mms, rtsp and YouTube.
• As long as your IPTV playlist M3U/M3U8 links are working, VLC handles them well in different languages (English, French, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, Italian, etc), and from different categories (Business, Comedy, Education, Entertainment, Fashion, Food, etc).
1. How to play IPTV .m3u/.m3u8 URLs and files with VLC?
2. How to download IPTV playlist videos via VLC?
3. How to solve VLC player IPTV not working?
How to Watch IPTV on VLC Media Player?
Preparations: Set up IPTV in VLC to make the streaming smoother.
1. Open VLC media player > Tools > Preferences > click on “All” in “Show settings” at the bottom left corner of VLC > choose “FFmpeg” under “Video codecs” in the subgroup of “Input/Codec” in the right part, and choose “Disable of Hardware decoding”.
2. Then, go back to “Input/Codecs” and just click on it > set the number of “MTU of the network interface” into 1,500 and set the “Networking caching” into 3,000 > click on “Save”.
3. Now, go back to the main UI of VLC media player > click on “Media” on the top bar > choose “Quit” to save the settings about VLC IPTV.
4. Open your VLC player again to start streaming IPTV channels.
Method 1. Play the live .m3u/.m3u8 IPTV playlist URLs
Step 1. Click on “Media” on the top bar to choose “Open Location from clipboard”.
Step 2. Input the .m3u playlist URL you want to play and hit “Play” to start playback.
• To make things easier, we have found some IPTV .m3u playlist links worldwide for you.
Step 3. After analyzing the .m3u IPTV playlist URL, VLC will automatically play the first IPTV channel in the list. If you want to switch to another channel, you can click on “View” on the top bar and click “Playlist”. On the interface, you can see a list of IPTV channels, just double-click one to play.
Notice: You can input the .m3u8 IPTV link that stands for a single channel to “Open Location from clipboard” to stream. Also, you can click on “Media” on the top bar to choose “Open Network Stream” to input the IPTV playlist URLs.
Method 2. Play the downloaded .m3u/.m3u8 file
Way 1. Drag and drop the .m3u/.m3u8 file to VLC to play.
Way 2. Right-click on the file and choose “Play with VLC…”.
Way 3. Click on “Media” on the top bar to choose “Open File…” to add a single file.
Way 4. Click on “Media” on the top bar to choose “Open Multiple Files…” to add more than one file. This is especially suitable for adding multiple .m3u8 links to play a playlist of IPTV channels.